Saturday, July 19, 2008

Clam diggin' #2

Today, Quoc woke me up way early to drive to Netarts Bay once again for clam digging. This time, we have the expertise of his boss, an experienced clammer to show us the way and the right holes to dig. And oh my goodness!! These were huge! See the pictures below. What a workout it was too! At one point, my entire head was in the hole, hanging' on to the clam and digging around it with my fingers as the muddy water fills up and collapsing around my arm. The clam squirts out water too, as an desperate attempt to escape. We caught 23 gapers, a few cockles, soft shells and mussels. We thought we had 24 gapers but one of those were dead shells, filled with mud. Fooled us! By the time we had to go, carrying two buckets-full was quite a task for Quoc. I attempted, but it was way too heavy. We'll share the goods with friends and family, and for sure, we'll go again next low tide!

Buckets of clams! You can compare the size to my garden hose faucet head.

See how proud we are of ourselves? :)
Duy and Diane. I love her face! She's trying to smile, but totally grossed out at the site of the gaper's long neck.

No comments: